August 26, 2020
This is another delicious recipe from Cathy Fisher, straightupfood.com. This refreshing salad is perfect for the current hot summer days in California.
- 4 cups seedless watermelon cubes (about ½-inch)
- 2 cups baby arugula leaves (packed)
- 1 cup thinly sliced cucumber
- ¼ cup thinly sliced red onion (see Notes)
- ¼ cup chopped fresh mint, or basil
- ¼ cup lime juice (1-2 limes)
- freshly ground black pepper to taste (optional)
- Chop the watermelon into about 1” cubes. Set aside.
- Peel and chop cucumber into bite size pieces. Set aside.
- Peel and chop red onion. Set aside.
- Wash and chop the arugula into bite size pieces. You may use spinach instead. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine all the ingredients: watermelon, arugula, cucumber, onion, fresh mint or basil, and lime juice. Toss all the ingredients together until well incorporated.
- Cover the bowl with the salad, and refrigerate until chilled (15-30 minutes).
NOTES (from Cathy Fisher at straightupfood.com ):
Cucumber: “I think thin, delicate slices of cucumber are best for this recipe, but feel free to cut your cucumbers any way you like. I used my favorite hand-held mandolin to quickly and uniformly slice mine.“
Melon: “If you can get your hands on a seedless yellow watermelon, this would be great too. Any kind of melon can be used instead of watermelon. Strawberries are also nice (I would use 1 cup strawberries and 3 cups melon).“
Arugula: “Arugula, a delicate peppery green, is perfect in this recipe, but if you can’t find it, you can use baby spinach leaves (whole or coarsely chopped).“
Lime juice: “You can also use lemon juice instead of lime, or your favorite balsamic vinegar; but I think the fresh taste of lime is the best complement with watermelon.“
Mint: “Some watermelon salads call for fresh basil instead of mint, so feel free to use this instead if you like.“
Red onion: “At the time of this posting, there is a recall on certain types of onions(August 5,2020). If you are not comfortable using these, you can also use thinly sliced green onions (scallions), or just leave the onion out.“
Spinach Dijon Salad Dressing
2 ounces spinach (1 cup chopped & packed). I used two handfuls.
1/4 medium avocado. I used a whole one.
1/4 cup water. I used 1/2 cup.
1 tbs. Dijon mustard. I used 2 tbs.
1 green onion (white & green parts, sliced). I used 1/2 of a yellow onion.
1 small clove garlic
I added: 1 tsp lime juice, & 1/4 tsp garlic powder.
1. Place all the ingredients (spinach, avocado, water, mustard, green onion, & garlic) into a blender and blend until smooth, adding a little water as needed.
What ingredient did you add or take away in your Watermelon Salad? Please take a minute to share about it in the comments. Thank you for sharing!