September 4, 2020
2 cups dry brown lentils
1 onion, chopped
2 carrots, chopped
4 tbs oil (optional)
salt to taste (optIona)
1 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 green pepper, chopped
1 red pepper, chopped
1 tsp Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
2 tsp Hungarian Paprika
2 tsp McCormick Organic Cayenne Red Pepper
2 tsp Trader Joe’s chili seasoning
2 tsp Trader Joe’s 21 Seasoning Salute
3 celery stalks, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 (32 oz) Trader Joe’s Organic Low Sodium Vegetable Broth
1 (16oz) Trader Joe’s Organic Foursome Vegetable Medley
1 (14.5) can Trader Joe’s Organic Diced Fire Roasted Tomatoes
Cooked brown rice (1 cup per person).
- Turn on sauté on the instant pot. You can sauté with the oil with 1/4 to 1/2 cup of broth. I used broth only. Add onion, and cook untI’ll translucent. Add the peppers, carrots, celery, garlic, and mixed vegetables. Sauté for about five minutes.
- Add in all of the spices: cumin, black pepper, red pepper flakes, paprika, cayenne, chili, and 21 salute. Sauté for 3 minutes, stirring constantly (add broth if needed so it does not stick). Turn off sauté.
- Add in the dried brown lentil, and the rest of the vegetable broth. Stir until well incorporated.
- Cover instant pot with lid, and lock into place. Make sure that the valve is pointing to Sealing ( NOT venting).
- Press Pressure setting, and set the cooking time to 30 minutes.
- When 30 minutes are up, allow the pressure to slow release. Once the pressure has released, open the lid. Stir the lentil soup, and carefully taste your soup to see if you wish to adjust the seasoning.
- In a food processor or blender, purée the soup until smooth. You may choose to leave the soup as is, without pureeing. I did not purée it.
- Your soup is all done, and is ready to serve. I recommend that you serve it over brown rice. Enjoy!
This soup recipe makes 8 servings.
Did you change the recipe? What did you add, or take away? Please take a minute to share in the comments. Thank you for sharing!