September 6, 2020
Homemade burrito bowls are a simplified version of Chipotle’s Burrito Bowls. They are fresh, healthy, customizable, and budget friendly. You make them from fridge and pantry staples. Today’s featured recipe is from the cookbook Straight Up Food, by Cathy Fisher.
2 cups water
1 cup dry uncooked brown rice (or 3 cups cooked)
4 cups romaine lettuce, thinly sliced
1 (15oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 cup green cabbage, thinly sliced
1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
1 cup corn kernels (thaw if frozen)
1 cup cilantro, coarsely chopped
1/2 cup onion, chopped
1/2 cup red onion, chopped
1 medium ripe avocado, chopped 1/2 cup lime juice
• Bring the water and uncooked rice to a boil in a medium saucepan over high heat, uncovered. Reduce the heat to low, then cover and cook for 45 minutes. Remove from the heat and let stand for 10 minutes with the lid still on.
• In a large bowl, toss the: rice, lettuce, beans, cabbage, tomatoes, corn, cilantro, onion, avocado, and lime juice.
The following are helpful suggestions for making your own versions of a homemade Burrito Bowl. These come from iowagirleats.com:
Tips for Making Homemade Burrito Bowls:
- Use any protein you like. I’m showing grilled chicken here, but cooked/chopped shrimp, steak, and/or shredded pork are all great options too.
- No meat, no problem! Sizzle up a portion of my famous fajita vegetables if you’d like to go the vegetarian route. I mean…I could eat those vegetables as a complete meal, myself!
- Go grainless. If you’re watching grain consumption, these burrito bowl toppings would be excellent piled on top of a bed of sauteed Cilantro-Lime Cauliflower Rice or a big bed of fresh lettuce.
Start by making the seasoning mix you’ll need for both the chicken and black beans, including chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, cayenne pepper, cumin, and oregano.
Season the chicken and black beans with the spices. Cook the chicken. Set aside cooked chicken.
Step 2: Make the Cilantro-Lime Rice
Meanwhile, get the Cilantro-Lime Rice going. Measure out 1 cup long grain white rice then rinse it really well under cold running water.
Bring 2 cups water, 1 Tablespoon vegetable oil, plus 1/2 teaspoon salt to a boil in a saucepan. Add the rinsed rice, place a lid on top, then turn the heat down and simmer until the rice is tender, about 15 minutes. Next add 1/4 cup chopped cilantro and thejuice of 1/2 lime then stir to combine.
Step 3: Prepare the black beans
Meanwhile, add 1 can black beans that have been drained and rinsed to a small sauce pan with 1 Tablespoon seasoning mix and 1/2 cup water. Bring to a boil then turn the heat down to low to keep warm.
Step 4: Make the guacamole
Last step is to make the guacamole. My FAVORITE part of the burrito bowls! Simply add 3 ripe avocados, the juice of 1/2 lime, 2 Tablespoons chopped cilantro, and garlic salt to a bowl then mash with a potato masher until smooth. That’s it!
Scoop the Cilantro-Lime Rice into bowls then top with the seasoned beans and grilled chicken, halved cherry tomatoes, fresh or frozen-then-thawed sweet corn, freshly grated Monterey Jack cheese, sliced romaine lettuce, and a huge hit of Quick Guacamole on top.
What ingredients did you include in your Burrito Bowl? Please share about it in the comments. Thank you for sharing!