September 11, 2020
1 tsp olive oil (optional)
1 large onion, chopped
1 stalk celery, chopped
2 carrots, chopped
4 cloves garlic, chopped
2 tbs chili powder
1 tbs tbs ground cumin
1 pinch black pepper
4 cups vegetable broth
4 (15 oz) cans black beans, rinsed & drained
1 (15 oz) whole kernel corn, rinsed & drained (or 15 oz of frozen corn)
1 (14.5 oz) can crushed tomatoes
1 (15 oz) can of refried black beans (use to thicken the soup)
• Heat oil in a large pot over medium high heat. Sauté onion, celery, carrots, and garlic for 5 minutes. Season with chili, cumin, and black pepper. Cook for 1 minute. Stir in vegetable broth 2 cans of black beans, and corn. Bring to a boil. I use all 4 cans of black beans, and do not liquify any (see note about how I thicken the soup).
• Meanwhile, in a food processor or blender, process remaining 2 cans of of black beans and tomatoes until smooth. Stir into boiling soup mixture. Reduce the heat to medium, and simmer for 15 minutes. (see note for thickening the soup)
• Congratulations! You are all done!
Note for thickening the soup:
I use 1 (15 oz) can of refried black beans to thicken the soup. You can process it in a blender with 2 cups of broth, or with the 1 (14.5) can of crushed tomatoes. Once processed, return this mixture to the black bean soup. Mix until well incorporated. Continue to cook according to the directions.
Directions for Instant Pot:
• Prep all the ingredients according to the recipe, yet do not sauté or liquify/process the beans.
• Put all of the ingredients into a gallon size freezer bag. You can add the broth to the bag, or wait to add it when you are ready to cook it in the Instant Pot. Seal the freezer bag carefully. If you leave the broth out, write a note on the outside of the bag to remind yourself to add it later.
Cooking directions for the Instant Pot:
• Pour in the entire contents of the freezer bag into the Instant Pot, and include the broth listed in the recipe.
• Close the lid of the Instant Pot. Set release valve to Sealing, not venting.
• Push the Pressure Cook button, and set the cooking time to 30 minutes.
• When it is done cooking, allow the pressure to release. Make sure the float valve is down prior to opening the lid. Open the lid.
• Stir the black bean soup carefully. Taste it to see if you wish to add any seasoning.
• To thicken the soup, take out two cups of broth. Blend broth in a blender with 1 can of refried black beans. Add this blend back into the black bean soup in your Instant Pot. Stir until well incorporated. Heat through for about 5 minutes. Stir it occasionally.
• Congrats! You are ready to serve. I like to serve my black bean soup over brown rice. Enjoy!
Did you change the recipe? Please share about it in the comments. Thank you for sharing!