September 15, 2020
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups Mosley
1 tbs baking powder
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp allspice
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp baking soda
2 eggs slightly beaten (substitute 1/4 cup ground flax seed for Vegan, dilute into 1/4 cup water plus 2 tablespoons, see note below)
1 1/2 cups shredded carrots (about 3 medium)
1 cup shredded zucchini (about 1 medium)
1 large apple, cored & shredded
1 cup plain Vegan yogurt
1 cup milk
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1/2 cup cooking oil
1/4 cup honey
1 tsp vanilla
1 lemon/lime zest only
1 orange zest only
1 Citrus Vegan Cream Cheese for Frosting
• For Vegan muffins substitute ground flax seed for the eggs:
“The basic ratio is one tablespoon of flax seeds and three tablespoons of water to replace one egg. You’ll need to grind the flax seeds into a fine powder using a coffee or spice grinder (or use 2 1/2 teaspoons pre-ground), and then you simply whisk in the water until it becomes gelatinous.”The Kitchn › egg-substitutes
• Preheat oven to 350*F. Coat 24 muffin cups with cooking spray, or prep 24 paper muffin cups. In a large bowl combine: flour, Mosley, ginger, nutmeg, allspice, cinnamon, baking powder, and baking soda.
• In another large bowl stir together: eggs, carrot, apple, yogurt, applesauce, milk, lemon/lime zest, orange zest, zucchini, brown sugar, raisins, walnuts, oil, honey, and vanilla.
• Add carrot mixture to flour mixture, stirring just until combined. Fold walnuts into the batter.
• Pour batter evenly into prepared muffin cups.
• Bake about 20-25 minutes, or until a wooden toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin cup comes out clean.
• Frost each cupcake with Citrus Cream Cheese Frosting.
Citrus-Vegan Cream Cheese Frosting
1 (8 oz) cream cheese
1 cup powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp lemon/lime peel, finely shredded
• In a bowl, beat one 8 oz package softened cream cheese, 1 tsp vanilla, and 1 cup powdered sugar with an electric mixer on medium speed until fluffy. Stir in 1 tsp of finely shredded lemon/lime peel.
How did you change this recipe? Please share in the comments. Thank you for sharing!