September 24, 2020
This recipe is from:minimalistbaker.com
- 1 cup unsweetened PLAIN almond milk
- 1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 2 tablespoons of fresh rosemary
- 3/4 tsp sea salt
- 4 Tbsp non-dairy, unsalted butter (I use Earth Balance)
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F (232 C), and add lemon juice to almond milk to make “vegan buttermilk.” Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together dry ingredients.
- Add cold butter and use fingers or a pastry cutter to combine the two until only small pieces remain and it looks like sand. Work quickly so the butter doesn’t get too warm.
- Make a well in the dry ingredients and, using a wooden spoon, stir gently while pouring in the almond milk mixture (vegan buttermilk) 1/4 cup (60 ml) at a time. You may not need all of it. Stop when it resembles a slightly tacky but moldable dough, stirring until just combined.
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface, dust the top with a bit of flour and then very gently turn the dough over on itself 5-6 times – hardly kneading. Add more flour as needed to prevent sticking.
- Form into a 1-inch thick disc, handling as little as possible.
- Use a 1-inch thick dough cutter or a similar-shape object with sharp edges (such as a cocktail shaker) and push straight down through the dough, then slightly twist. Repeat and place biscuits on a baking sheet in two rows, making sure they just touch – this will help them rise uniformly. Gently reform the dough and cut out one or two more biscuits – you should have 7-8 (as original recipe is written).
- Next brush the tops with a bit more of melted non-dairy butter and gently press a small divot in the center using two fingers. This will also help them rise evenly, so the middle won’t form a dome.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes or until fluffy and slightly golden brown. Serve immediately. Let remaining biscuits cool completely before storing them in an airtight container or bag.
Notes *Adapted from the man, Alton Brown. *Nutrition information is a rough estimate:
Nutrition (1 of 7 servings)
Serving: 1 biscuitsCalories: 170Carbohydrates: 25 gProtein: 3.4 gFat: 6 gSaturated Fat: 1.8 gTrans Fat: 0 gCholesterol: 0 mgFiber: 1 gSugar: 3.4 g
What did you change in this recipe? Please share in the comments. Thank you for sharing!