December 1, 2020
“Apple butter is a highly concentrated form of apple sauce produced by long, slow cooking of apples with cider or water to a point where the sugar in the apples caramelizes, turning the apple butter a deep brown. The concentration of sugar gives apple butter a much longer shelf life as a preserve than apple sauce.” Wikipedia
“Apple butter was originally invented in Limburg, which is present day Belgium and the Netherlands, and Rhineland, present day Germany, during the Middle Ages. As the first monasteries began to form, the idea of apple butter emerged.”boulderlocavore.com
“The kettle is the most important piece of equipment needed for making apple butter. It is advisable to cook apples and other fruits in a brass or copper kettle. Apples cooked in iron will have a poor flavor and will be discolored because of the acid reacting with the metal.“thelibrary.org
“Since apple butter requires quite a bit of cooking time, softer apple varieties will be your best bet as they cook down the fastest. Mix up a few different varieties for the best flavor; Fuji and Golden Delicious are popular softer varietals for apple butter that taste great together.”appleforthat.stemilt.com
What is the difference between Apple butter and applesauce?
“Apple butter is essentially concentrated applesauce.The only difference is that apple butter is milled, pureed, or finely chopped and then cooked for a longer period of time, which gets out more water and allows it to caramelize.”www.bonappetit.com
Can you substitute apple butter for butter?
“Apple butter works like applesauce in that you can substitute it for oil and butter, if you want. It gives recipes a super rich depth of flavor, and pretty much smells like fall in a bottle, which is why it’s perfect for snickerdoodles.”www.crazyforcrust.com
How long does opened apple butter last in the refrigerator?
“Apple butter that has been continuously refrigerated will generally stay at best quality for about 1 year.”www.stilltasty.com
Can you freeze apple butter in mason jars?
“You can store in small plastic or glass containers and refrigerate for up to a week. Freeze what you know you won’t use right away, leave about an inch of room at the top of your containers or jars. Freeze for up to a year. Thaw in the fridge the day before you need to use it.”www.themagicalslowcooker.com
“You can freeze liquids in mason jars and store them for several months in the freezer. … If you aren’t careful, the glass may crack or shatter as the liquids solidify. So here’s a quick tip for making sure that doesn’t happen… Use only straight-sided mason jars and fill them to the freeze-fill line.”www.gardenbetty.com
“As a general rule, 1 pound of apples is equal to: 3 medium apples.”www.kraftwhatscooking.ca
How many apples in five pounds?
“For five pounds, get 20 small, 15 medium or 10 big apples.” infogrocery.com
What kind of apple is the sweetest?
“The sugar levels in a Fuji apple range from 15-18 on average (remember, an apple is mostly made up of water). Other apple varieties that are on the sweet side are: Honeycrisp apples, Ambrosia™ apples, Gala apples, and Golden Delicious apples, and Red Delicious apples.”appleforthat.stemilt.com
“Apple butter contains 6 grams of sugar per serving, meaning 86 percent of the calories in apple butter are from sugar.”healthyeating.sfgate.com
“Leave the crock of apple butter uncovered, and continue to cook on LOW heat for another hour or so before giving it another stir. The apple butter will be fairly thick, but still run off the spoon–like the texture of commercial apple sauce. Don’t worry, the apple butter will thicken as it cools.“comfortablydomestic.com
Instant Pot Apple Butter
SERVINGS: 2 cups
- 6 sweet apples
- 1/4 cup apple cider or pure apple juice
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Peel, core and slice each apple into 8 slices.
- Place all the ingredients into the Instant Pot and stir to coat apples.
- Using the manual setting (pressure cook) set at high pressure for 8 minutes with the valve sealed. When the time has run out, turn off and allow for natural pressure release.
• Take off the lid and remove cinnamon stick.
• Use an immersion blender until mixture becomes smooth. You could also use a food processor or a blender filled to no more than half full.
• Turn Instant Pot to sauté and push the adjust button to LESS. Simmer until thickened to desired consistency – approximately 15-30 minutes.
• Turn off and let apple butter cool completely.
- Store in an air tight container, such as a mason jar.
- Refrigerate for up to 3 weeks or freeze up to 6 months.
Recipe provided by Make Your Meals at makeyourmeals.com
To double the recipe (2x):
- 12 sweet apples
- 0.5 cup apple cider or pure apple juice
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 0.5 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cinnamon stick
- 2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Follow the same directions above for the cooking.
To triple the recipe (3x):
- 18 sweet apples
- 0.75 cup apple cider or pure apple juice
- 1.5 cup packed light brown sugar
- 3 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1.5 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 0.75 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1.5 teaspoon salt
- 3 cinnamon stick
- 3 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Follow the same directions above for the cooking.
What new fact did you learn about apple butter in today’s blog? How did you change the recipe? Please share in the comments. Thank you for sharing!