October 5, 2020
2 cups water
1 ounce raw, unsalted cashews (about 1/4 cup)
6 medium white or cremini mushroom, chopped (about 2 1/2 cups)
1/2 yellow or white onion, chopped (about 1 1/2 cups)
1 small carrot, thinly sliced (about 1/2 cup)
1 large rib celery, sliced (about 1/2 cup)
2 teaspoons finely chopped garlic (2-3 medium cloves)
1 teaspoon poultry seasoning Ground black pepper, to taste
• Place the water and cashews into a blender, an set aside for at least 15 minutes (so the cashews can soften).
• Place 1 tablespoon of water into a medium saucepan on medium-high heat. When the water starts to sputter, add the mushrooms, onions, carrots, and celery. Cook while stirring for 2 to 3 minutes.
• Add the garlic and poultry seasoning to the pan, and continue stirring for 2 to 3 minutes, or until the vegetables have softened, adding water as needed.
• Transfer the cooked vegetables to the blender containing the water and cashews, and blend until very smooth, adding water as needed.
• Pour the blended gravy back into the saucepan (or a clean one) on medium-low heat, and simmer briefly just to heat through. Season to taste with black pepper.
How did you vary this recipe? How did you use the gravy? Please share in the comments. Thank you for sharing!