This recipe is by Cathy Fisher, and is featured in her book Straight Up Food:
December 4, 2020
For the salad:
2 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 3/4 inch chunks
2 cups coarsely chopped fresh spinach leaves
2 ribs celery, sliced or chopped (about 2/3 cup)
1/2 cup raisins (brown or golden)
1/2 cup sliced almonds (plus extra for garnish; optional)
4 green onions, white and green parts, sliced
Creamy Curry Dressing:
1 teaspoon orange zest
1/2 cup water
2 ounces raw, unsalted cashews (about 1/2 cup)
1/4 cup orange juice
1 teaspoon curry powder
1 medium clove garlic
• To start the dressing, zest the orange first before juicing it. Set the zest aside.
• Place all of the dressing ingredients, except the orange zest, into a blender and set aside for at least 15 minutes (so the cashews can soften).
• To make the salad, place the sweet potatoes into a soup pot and cover them with water. Bring to a boil over high heat, uncovered. Reduce the heat to medium-high, and cook until the potatoes are tender, but not falling apart when pierced with a knife (about 10 to 15 minutes). Drain and rinse under cold water, and set aside.
• Once the potatoes have thoroughly drained, place them into a large bowl, along with the spinach, celery, raisins, almonds, and green onions.
• Blend the dressing ingredients until smooth. Stir the orange zest into the blended dressing with a fork (but don’t blend it). Then stir the dressing into the salad. Serve warm or chilled, plain or topped with diced almonds.
For a lower-fat dressing, substitute 3/4 to 1 cup of cooked white beans for the cashews.
How did you modify this recipe? Please share in the comments. Thank you for sharing!