October 2, 2020
Author: Vaishali from holycowvegan.net
PREP TIME: 15 mins
COOK TIME: 3 hrs 30 mins TOTAL TIME: 3 hrs 45 mins
SERVINGS: 6 buns
CALORIES: 203 kcal
- 1 1/2 cups whole-wheat flour
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp vital wheat gluten flour (optional– use it if you can because it gives the bread a great texture and a better rise)
- 1 1/2 tsp active dry yeast
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups warm water
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- Mix the sugar, 1/2 cup warm water and the yeast in a mixing bowl and set aside for about 10 minutes until the mixture starts to froth, indicating the yeast is alive and well.
- Sift all the flours, salt, and baking soda into the bowl. Knead on low speed in a stand mixer or by hand for about 3 minutes, trickling in 1 cup of water until you have a dough that’s smooth but slightly sticky. If you are leaving out the gluten, knead at least 2 more minutes.
- Add the oil and continue to knead until the oil has been absorbed by the dough, about 1 more minute.
- Now place in an oiled bowl, turning over once to coat all over with oil, cover with a kitchen towel, and set aside for 2 hours until the dough has risen.
- Punch down the dough and divide into 6 balls.
- Shape them into smooth balls. Place the buns on a lightly greased and floured baking sheet, at least a couple of inches apart. Flatten the tops slightly with your fingers, and let the buns rise for an hour.
- Preheat the oven to 370 degrees. Place the buns in the oven and bake 25 minutes.
- Brush the tops with a little oil for a pretty, glossy look. Sprinkle some sesame seeds or poppyseeds on the top, if desired. I used the Vegan Egg Wash (see recipe below) to top the buns, and topped them with the sesame seeds.
- Remove to a rack and allow the buns to cool before breaking them off.
- Double or triple the recipe to make more buns. Don’t change rise and bake times.
- Great to serve with the Happy Vegan Chicken-Less Burgers, from yesterday’s blog.
Calories: 203kcal Carbohydrates: 33.8g Protein: 11gFat: 2.7gSodium: 493mg Potassium: 54mg Fiber: 2.1g Sugar: 1.7g Iron: 2mg
Vegan Egg Wash Recipe:
Use this wash to brush on the tops of your buns for a glossy look. Finish them by sprinkling some sesame seeds, or poppyseeds on top of each bun.
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened vegan milk preferably one with a high protein content.
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup or agave syrup use only ½ teaspoon if you don’t want any hint of sweetness on your buns.
- 1 teaspoon regular mustard or dijon.
- 1 tablespoon mix of sesame seeds, or poppyseeds for topping.
How did you modify the recipe? Did you try the burger recipe? Please share in the comments. Thank you for sharing!