This recipe is from the cookbook Straight Up Food, by Cathy Fisher.
October 6, 2020
6 cups water
1 cup dry uncooked French green lentils
1 medium yellow or white onion, chopped (about 2 cups)
1 medium yam or sweet potato, peeled and chopped into 1/2 inch chunks (about 1 1/2 cups)
2 cups small cauliflower florets
2 ribs celery, sliced (about 2/3 cup)
1 can diced tomatoes (14.5 oz); about1 1/2 cups), undrained
1 tablespoon yellow curry
3 teaspoons dried Italian herb seasoning
1 teaspoon granulated onion
1 teaspoon granulated garlic
4 cups coarsley chopped Swiss chard or other greens
• 1 1/2 teaspoon Trader Joe’s 21 Salute seasoning
• 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
• 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
• 2 tablespoons tomato paste
• 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
• 2 tablespoons ketchup
• 1 tablespoon paprika
After done cooking (add slurry):
• 1 1/2 teaspoon corn starch
• 1 cup oat milk, or other milk
Stove Top Directions:
• Bring the water and lentils to a boil in a soup pot over medium high heat , uncovered. Reduce the heat to medium-low and cook uncovered stirring occasionally, for 20 minutes.
• Stir in the onion, yam or sweet potato, cauliflower, celery, diced tomatoes (including the juice), curry powder, Italian seasoning, and granulated onion and garlic. Cover and simmer at a low boil for 15 minutes.
• Stir in the greens, then cover and cook for 5 to 10 minutes more, or until the lentils and yams or sweet potatoes are tender.
I converted this recipe into an Instant Pot meal. I also spiced it up by adding a few spices (see spices marked with a “•” in the ingredients list). After cooking I added a slurry to thicken it (see slurry recipe below).
Ingredients for Instant Pot:
Add all of the ingredients in the recipe above into the Instant Pot. You will add the slurry at the end after it is done cooking.
Instant Pot Directions:
• Add all of the ingredients inside your Instant pot (including all of the water).
• Close the lid, and make sure that the release valve is on sealing (not venting).
• Set the cooking time: push the pressure cook button and set the cooking time to 30 minutes.
• Once it is done cooking, allow the pressure to self release.
• Once the float valve is down, open your Instant Pot lid. Stir.
• Press cancel. Press sauté button. Add the slurry to thicken it. Stir frequently for about five minutes.
• Serve hot over brown rice.
1 cup oat milk, or other milk
1 1/2 teaspoons of corn starch
• Combine in a mug and mix until well dissolved. Add slurry to the pot.
• Stir constantly for 3-5 minutes until it thickens. It will also thicken a bit more as it cools.
If you don’t have cauliflower, you can use broccoli instead.
If you are a mushroom fan, add about 6 sliced medium white or cremini mushrooms in step 2.
If you want to turn this thick stew into a soup , simply add 1 1/2 to 2 cups of water in step 2.
How did you modify this recipe? Please share in the comments. Thank you for sharing!