October 16, 2020
Recipe is from: cubanveganlife.com
Cuisine: Cuban Cuban, Vegan
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Passive Time: 40 minutes
Servings: 4 servings
- 1 cup dried black beans
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 onion, whole
- 1/4 green bell pepper, whole
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 4 cups water
Congri – Black Beans and Rice:
- 2 cups white rice, long grain
- 1 cup cooked beans
- 2 cups reserved bean water
- 1/2 cup onion, diced
- 1/2 cup green bell pepper, diced
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoon dry white cooking wine
- 2 teaspoon apple cider vinegar*
- 6 green olives
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1 teaspoon Vegan Better Than Bouillon Seasoned Vegetable Base
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
For Cooking Dried Black Beans:
- In your Instant Pot, add dried beans, 1/4 of onion, whole, 1/4 of a green bell pepper, whole, 1 minced garlic clove, 1/2 a bay leaf, and 4 cups of water.
- Cook for 25 minutes. If you pre-soaked the beans (overnight), cook for only 15 minutes.
- Release pressure and strain the black beans. Reserve 2 cups of the bean liquid! If you increased the quantity of beans/rice, you should save all of the bean liquid to use in the cooking of the Congri.
For Cooking the Congri:
- Set your Instant Pot to the sauté setting. Add some water for sautéing, followed by the diced onions and diced peppers. Cook for 1-2 minutes. I used a cup of the bean water to sauté with.
- Then add the garlic, dried, oregano, and ground cumin and cook for another few minutes until fragrant and translucent, adding more water for sautéing as needed.
- Add the rice, bean liquid, cooked beans, and the rest of the ingredients. Stir to combine.
- Cover and set Instant Pot for 5 minutes.
- Once it is done cooking, let the pressure release naturally for at least 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, release the rest of the pressure manually if needed and fluff with fork.
- Serve hot as a main dish or side dish.
- Let cool before storing in the refrigerator. It should keep for about 4 to 5 days.
- The author used Vegan Chicken Bouillon.
- White vinegar will also work in this recipe.
- You can serve this Congri with the Vegan Cuban-Seasoned Baked Tofu Chicken. You can find the recipe in tomorrow’s blog.
- I pre-soaked the dry black beans overnight. This cuts the Instant Pot cooking time to 15 minutes. It also assures that the beans are soft and creamy on the inside.
- Cook the beans in the pre-soak water.
- Once the beans are cooked, save all of the water. You may need it if you increase the quantity of bean/rice, as I did.
Soaking dry black beans:
“Soak ‘Em. The day before you plan to cook you beans place them in a very large bowl and add enough water to cover by at least 4″. The beans will absorb some so makesure to add enough. You can’t add too much water here, but you can add too little. Cover and let sit for overnight.”Delish.com
Do you cook beans in the same water you soak them in?
”Soaking dried beans in water overnight helps speed up their cooking. Some sources recommend cooking the beans directly in the soaking liquid in order to retain any flavorful water-soluble compounds and colorful pigments that may leach out during the soak.”www.cooksillustrated.com
How did you modify this recipe? Please share in the comments. Thank you for sharing!