October 17, 2020
This recipe is from: cubanveganlife.com
Prep Time: 10-15 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
Passive Time: 4-8 hours
Servings: 8 tofu steaks
- 16 ounces pressed super firm tofu, sliced
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons white cooking wine
- 1 teaspoon Vegan Better Than Bouillon SeasonEd Vegetable Base
- 4-5 cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoons cilantro
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon ground pepper
1. Peel garlic and gather the rest of the ingredients (see above photos). Do not omit the lime, for it is important to achieve the correct flavor.
2. Blend all the ingredients. I used an immersion blender. You can also use a blender or food processor.
3. Slice the Tofu in about 8 slices.
4. Place the tofu into a container or Ziplock bag and then pour marinade over tofu making sure all the tofu pieces are covered in the liquid. I put the marinating Tofu on a tray so that they could lay flat & would not brake. Put in the refrigerator.
5. Marinade for at least 4 hours, preferably overnight.
6. Preheat your oven at 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
7. Prepare a baking sheet by lining with parchment paper and place your tofu slices in one layer making sure they are not touching. You can also lightly grease the baking sheet with a little Vegan butter.
8. Bake for 20 minutes on one side.
9. After 20 minutes, flip your tofu and bake for another 15 minutes.
- You can slice the tofu thinner but you’ll need to reduce the cooking time.
- To blend the seasonings you can use an immersion blender or regular blender.
- I recommend marinating the tofu for 8 hours or overnight. The more time, the better.
- Serve this Tofu Chicken with the Instant Pot Cuban Congri: Black Beans & Rice that I featured in yesterday’s blog (October 16, 2020).
- You may wish to double this recipe, because everyone in my family loved it and had seconds! Enjoy!
How did you modify this recipe? Please share in the comments. Thank you for sharing!