• Author: Loving It Vegan Prep
• Time: 15 mins
• Cook Time: 15 mins
• Yield: 20
October 29, 2020
- 1/2 cup (112g) Vegan Butter
- 1 cup (200g) Brown Sugar
- 1 Tbsp Golden Syrup* or maple syrup
- 1 Tbsp Dark Molasses
- 1 Tbsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 and 1/2 cups (144g) Rolled Oats
- 1 cup (125g) All Purpose Flour
- 1 cup (80g) Dessicated Coconut
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/2 tsp Salt (optional)
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 2 Tbsp Soy Milk (or other non-dairy milk)
- 3/4 cup (105g) Raisins (small and seedless)
- 1/2 cup (64g) Chopped Walnuts*
- Add the vegan butter and brown sugar to the bowl of an electric mixer and cream them together. Add in the golden syrup, molasses and vanilla and mix in.
- Add the rolled oats, all purpose flour, dessicated coconut, baking soda, salt and cinnamon to a mixing bowl and mix together.
- Add the dry ingredients in with the wet and mix in (by hand, don’t use the electric mixer for this part) until crumbly.
- Add in the soy milk and mix again. Your dough should be very thick, but you should be able to roll it into a ball and have it stick together perfectly at this stage.
- Add in the raisins and chopped walnuts and mix in.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C) and line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Roll the dough into balls and place onto the parchment lined baking tray. Aim to get around 20 cookies. Try to ensure the raisins are spread out in the cookie dough so that you don’t end up with some cookies having no raisins and some cookies having a lot of raisins.
- Place into the oven and bake for 15 minutes.
- The tops will be golden brown and the edges firm but the cookies will be very soft in the middle.
- Allow the cookies to cool on the baking tray and firm up before moving them.
• *You can substitute any syrup for the golden syrup if you don’t have any golden syrup around, I just like golden syrup as it has a very nice caramel flavor. Please see the recipe for Homemade Golden Syrup in yesterday’s blog, October 28, 2020.
• ”Golden syrup or light treacle is a thick amber-coloured form of inverted sugar syrup made in the process of refining sugar cane or sugar beet juice into sugar, or by treatment of a sugar solution with acid. It is used in a variety of baking recipes and desserts.”Wikipedia
Place of origin: United Kingdom
Main ingredients: Refined sugar cane or sugar beet juice
Alternative names: Light treacle
• What can be substituted for Golden syrup?
Maple Syrup “The syrup is a great substitution for golden syrup because of its sugar content and thick consistency. It even has the clear appearance similar to golden syrup. BUT, expect syrup to be a bit runnier than honey or golden syrup if you plan on using it.”buttercreambakeshop.net
• You can omit the walnuts if you prefer a nut-free cookie.
- Serving Size: 1 Cookie (of 20)
- Calories: 191
- Sugar: 14.6g
- Sodium: 151mg
- Fat: 8.7g
- Saturated Fat: 4.2g
- Carbohydrates: 26.7g
- Fiber: 2g
- Protein: 2.5g
How did you modify this recipe? Please share in the comments. Thank you for sharing!