November 10, 2020
Instant Pot Whole Steamed Artichokes
Prep Time: 10 mins
Cook Time: 10 mins
Total Time: 25 mins
Instant Pot Whole Steamed Artichokes are a faster and easier way to cook artichokes. Pressure cooker artichokes are tender and ready to dip in your favorite sauce!
Course: Appetizer, Side Dish, Vegetarian
Keyword: pressure cooker artichokes
Servings: 1 – 4
Calories: 70 kcal
Author: Sandy Clifton, from simplyhappyfoodie.com, and Jill Nussinow from the cookbook Vegan Under Pressure:
- 1-4 Artichokes
- 1 1/2 cups Water/Veggie broth (for the 6 qt pressure cooker, 2 1/2 cups for the 8 qt)
Aromatics to Add to the Water/Veggie broth:
- 1/2 Lemon, sliced
- 2 cloves Garlic, chopped
- 2 small Bay Leaves
- 1 tsp Salt (optional)
- 1/2 Sweet Onion, sliced
- 1 sprig Fresh Rosemary
Prepare the Artichokes:
- Remove small outer leaves that are dry, and cut the stem off, leaving about 1/4″. Then use a really sharp serrated knife to cut the top inch or two off of the artichoke. This exposes the inside and will allow the steam to penetrate it.
- Rinse the artichokes and pat dry with a paper towel. Then rub some lemon on the cut surface to prevent browning.
Prepare the Steaming Liquid:
- Add the water to the stainless inner liner. Then add the aromatics (garlic, bay leaves, lemon slices, salt, onion, thyme, and rosemary).
- Place the trivet/rack into the pot.
Cook the Artichokes:
- Place the artichokes into the pot, stem side up (cut side down). Close the lid and set the steam release knob to the Sealing position.
- Cancel the Sauté function. Press the Pressure Cook/Manual Button or dial, then the + or – button or dial to select the cook time (cook times may vary*): Small artichokes – 7 minutes Medium Artichokes – 10 minutes Large artichokes – 15 minutes
- When the cooking cycle is finished, do a Quick Release of the steam/pressure by turning the steam release knob to the Venting position, or pushing the release button, if applicable.
4. You can tell when the artichoke is done when a knife slides into the bottom easily.
5. Remove the Choke from each artichoke. You can scrape the fuzzy choke with a spoon or a knife.
6. Serve with your favorite dip!
What to Dip Them In:
• Lemon Mayo – Mix some Vegan mayo and lemon juice together.
• Plain Vegan Mayo
• Melted Vegan Butter – Melt butter in a microwave safe dish.
• Garlic Vegan Butter – Sauté a couple of pressed garlic cloves in butter.
• *Cook times will vary based on the size of the artichokes, as well as the density of the leaves. Tightly packed, denser quantity of leaves (and a heavier artichoke) will take longer to cook.
• You may need to do a test to find your perfect cook time.
How did you modify this recipe? Please share in the comments. Thank you for sharing!