November 15, 2020
Easy Vegan Pie Crust
servings: 8 SERVINGS
prep time: 15 MINUTES
total time: 15 MINUTES
How to make easy vegan pie crust in the food processor (or by hand) in 15 minutes or less! This pie crust is flaky, tender and delicious. No one would guess it’s free of animal products!
- ▢ 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour, spooned and leveled
- ▢ 1 teaspoon sugar
- ▢ 1/4 teaspoon salt
- ▢ 1/4 cup (4 tablespoons)vegan butter, earth balance brand preferred, cold and cut into cubes
- ▢ 1/4 cup (4 tablespoons)vegetable shortening, cold and into a few pieces
- ▢ 3-4 tablespoons ice water
- Make sure your vegan butter and shortening are very cold before starting. If you only have the tub of earth balance vegan butter, measure 4 tablespoons, then refrigerate along with the shortening for at least 30 minutes.
- Add flour, sugar and salt to food processor with the “S” blade. Pulse a few times to combine.
- Add cold vegan butter and shortening. Process for about 10 seconds, until it looks like a coarse meal (see photos above for reference).
- Now while the food processor is running, drizzle in 3 tablespoons of ice cold water. When it begins to clump together, stop. You may need to add 1 more tablespoon ice water for it to come together.
- Dump the dough onto a lightly floured surface and shape it into a ball. Don’t use your hands too much or it will warm the dough, which will make your pie crust less flaky and light.
- Roll the dough with a rolling pin to about a 12 inch circle, and transfer to a pie plate. I usually wrap it gently around my rolling pin and then carefully transfer it. Don’t panic if it’s not perfect, you can fix it in the pie plate!
- Gently push the pie crust all around the dish, trimming off any excess and replacing any spots that need repair. See tutorial (noracooks.com) for fluting the edges and making other special pie edges.
- It’s now ready to use immediately, or refrigerate until you are ready to use. Simply double the recipe for 2 pie crusts (top and bottom).
TO MAKE BY HAND:
- If you don’t want to use a food processor, you can make the pie crust by hand. Simply whisk together the dry ingredients in a large bowl, then add the cold butter and shortening. Use a pastry cutter or fork to cut it in, then drizzle in the ice water and stir until the dough comes together.
- Nutrition information is for 1/8th of the crust.
serving: 1serving, calories: 196kcal, carbohydrates: 18g, protein: 2g, fat: 12g, saturated fat: 3g, sodium: 121mg, potassium: 25mg, fiber: 1g, sugar: 1g, vitamin a: 282iu, calcium: 4mg, iron: 1mg
How did you modify this recipe? Please share in the comments. Thank you for sharing!