November 30, 2020
A Vegan 15 Bean Soup using one of those little bags of soup mix and my Instant Pot. From dried beans to deliciously healthy soup in just 1 hour. Pure Magic!
Servings: 16 Servings
Calories: 142 kcal
Author: Chuck Underwood at brandnewvegan.com
Prep Time: 15 mins
Cook Time: 45 mins
Total Time: 1 hr
Vegan 15 Bean Soup for the Instant Pot
- 1 bag Hurst’s 15 Bean Soup Blend(without the seasoning)
- 4 cups Vegetable Broth (low sodium)
- 4 cups Water
- 2 Tbs Soy Sauce (low sodium)
- 3 cloves Garlic (minced)
- 1 med Sweet Onion (chopped)
- 1 green Bell Pepper (chopped)
- 1 Jalapeno, minced (optional)
- 1 can Green Chiles, chopped (7oz)
- 2 stalks Celery (chopped)
- 2 Carrots (sliced)
- 3/4 tsp Cumin
- 3/4 tsp Thyme
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 1 can Fire Roasted Diced Tomatoes(15oz)
- 2 handfuls Fresh Spinach (optional)
- 2 Tbs Lime Juice (1 lime)
- Throw away that little seasoning packet in the beans, we won’t be using it.
- Rinse the beans well, and add them to your Instant Pot
- To the Instant Pot, add the broth, water, soy sauce, garlic, onion, peppers, chiles, celery, carrots, cumin, thyme, and bay leaf. Attach the lid and set to SEALING.
- Set your Instant Pot to MANUAL mode, HP, and 45 minutes.
- When finished cooking, allow to vent naturally. OR, cover pressure release valve with a clean washcloth, and using a wooden spoon – CAREFULLY and SLOWLY release the pressure manually.
- Remove lid and stir in tomatoes, spinach, and lime juice. Mix well and check for seasoning. Add additional salt and pepper if needed.
• With the Soy Sauce and the Veggie Broth the sodium content for 1 serving is 256mg. For those of you watching your sodium intake, you can eliminate the soy sauce, and sub additional water in place of the veggie broth.
15 Bean Soup – Quick Soak Method:
If you wish to cook your beans on the stovetop, you may follow this quick soaking method.
• Forgot to soak your beans overnight? Follow this method to quickly soak your beans: Rinse and drain your beans. Then, place in a pot and cover with 3 inches of cold water, and boil for 2 minutes. Turn off the stove, place a lid on the pot, and let the beans sit for about 1 hour. Drain, rinse, and cook according to recipe instructions.
• The above might not seem “quick,” since the beans need to soak for an hour, but it’s a much faster option than overnight soaking.
How did you modify this recipe? Please share in the comments. Thank you for sharing!