December 23, 2020
This recipe is part of my Christmas 2020: Menu Prep Series!
This recipe is from Midwest Living at Midwestliving.com
Avocado Pesto-Stuffed Tomatoes Stuff cherry tomatoes with a filling of avocado, cream cheese, pesto and lemon juice for an easy make-ahead appetizer. You can easily make it Vegan!
Source: Midwest Living
- 30 cherry tomatoes (about 1-1/4 pints)
- ½ medium avocado, pitted, peeled, and cut up
- 2 ounce cream cheese, softened. You ca easily make this Vegan! (see notes, below)
- 2 tablespoon homemade or purchased basil pesto (make it Vegan with my recipe for Pesto Pasta & Veggies, just use the pesto portion)
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Snipped fresh basil, or chives, for decoration (optional)
- Step 1—Cut a thin slice from the top of each tomato. (If desired, cut a thin slice from bottoms of tomatoes so they stand upright.) With a small spoon or small lemon baller carefully hollow out the tomatoes. Line a baking sheet with paper towels. Invert tomatoes on the towels. Let stand 30 minutes to drain.
- Step 2—Meanwhile, for filling, in a food processor bowl combine avocado, cream cheese, pesto, and lemon juice. Cover; process until smooth. Spoon filling into a pastry bag fitted with a large plain round or open star tip.
- Step 3— Place tomatoes, open sides up, on a serving platter. Pipe filling into the tomato cups. Serve immediately or cover loosely and refrigerate up to 4 hours before serving. Sprinkle with snipped basil (or chives) before serving. Makes 30 appetizers.
• Cut a thin slice from the bottom of each tomato to help them stand upright.
• You can make these recipe Vegan by replacing the cream cheese with Vegan cream cheese. You can also substitute the pesto with my recipe for the Pesto in my Pesto Pasta & Veggies blog post.
• You May wish to add these to you Christmas Charcuterie Board—see blog post for ideas and instructions on how to create your own.
• This recipe is part of my Christmas 2020: Menu Prep Series!
How did you modify this recipe? Please share in the comments. Thank you for sharing!