January 2, 2021
- 1 gallon fresh apple cider
- 4 whole black peppercorns
- 8 (3-inch) cinnamon sticks
- 2 apples, studded with cloves
- 2 oranges, studded with cloves
- .62 oz whole dried cloves, enough to cover four pieces of fruit
- .64 oz (4-6 stars) star anise
- pinch of grated nutmeg
- .75 oz 10 whole pieces (3 teaspoons ground) Allspice
- 1/2-1 cup brown sugar
• Place the apple cider, peppercorns, one of the cinnamon sticks, the cloves, and the star anise in a medium saucepan.
• Cut a large (1 × 4-inch) peel from the orange using a vegetable peeler and add it to the pan.
• Bring the cider mixture to a boil, lower the heat, and simmer for 5 minutes.
• Pour the hot cider into mugs or heatproof glasses.
• Strain into a 4-cup glass measuring cup and discard the solids.
• Cut the apple in half through the stem, remove the core, slice crosswise in ¼-inch-thick half-rounds, and add one slice to each glass.
• Serve hot with a cinnamon stick in each glass for stirring.
How did you modify this recipe? Please share in the comments. Thank you for sharing!