January 16, 2021
This recipe is by the.Korean.vegan at thefeedfeed.com
Vegan Chocolate Mint Julep Cupcakes
Ingredients for Cupcakes:
3/4 cup (180 grams) all purpose flour
1 cup (201 grams) sugar
1/2 cup (59 grams) cacao
3/4 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup oil
1 cup coffee
1/4 cup bourbon
1 1/2 tsp vinegar
1 tbsp vanilla extract
1 tsp mint flavor
3 tbsp aquafaba
Ingredients for Buttercream Frosting:
1/2 cup vegan butter (I use Miyoko’s Kitchen)
1-2 cups powdered sugar (depending on how sweet you like it)
1 tsp mint flavor
1 tbsp matcha tea powder
2 tbsp non-dairy milk
Instructions for Cupcakes:
1. Mix all dry ingredients for cupcakes together in large bowl and stir.
2. Add in all wet ingredients, except aquafaba.
3. Whisk aquafaba until frothy, then add to rest of the ingredients.
4. Mix altogether until well incorporated.
5. Pour batter into muffin tin lined with cupcake liners, sprayed with non-stick spray (trust me–vegan baking is STICKY).
6. Bake for the first 7 minutes at 400 degrees. Then, lower temperature to 350 degrees for 13-15 minutes. Remove from oven when toothpick comes out clean.
7. Let cupcakes cool COMPLETELY.
Instructions for Buttercream Frosting:
1. Bring butter to room temperature. Then beat with either hand mixer or stand mixer.
2. When butter is light and creamy, begin incorporating powdered sugar to desired consistency/sweetness.
3. Add mint flavor and matcha.
4. SLOWLY add in a trickle of non-dairy milk down the side of bowl while still beating the frosting.
5. Frost cupcakes with piping bag, ziplock bag, back of spoon…. whatever you have. But, seriously, don’t ditch the frosting–it’s SO GOOD.
How did you modify this recipe? Please share in the comments. Thank you for sharing!