February 6, 2021
Vegan Instant Pot Lentil and Cabbage Soup
This is a hearty soup that is incredibly easy to make! You can pull it together with ingredients that you currently have in your pantry. I love to meal prep all the ingredients (minus the broth-add it when you are ready to cook it) and place them into a gallon freezer bag. I keep it in my freezer, and I pull it out when I need it. I defrost it for a quick five minutes in the microwave, and put it all into the instant pot. Dinner is ready in a flash! It is perfect on a cold winter day. This has become one of my favorites!
Prep: 15 mins
Cook: 25 mins
Additional: 10 mins
Total: 50 mins
Yield: 6 servings
- 3 cups coarsely chopped green cabbage
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 3 carrots, chopped
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon lemon/lime juice
- 2 teaspoons dried sage
- 1 cup green lentils
- 2 laurel leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon Better Than Buillon Vegetable Base
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, optional
- For serving: whole grain bread or baguette
• Prep and chop all the veggies
• Sauté the onion in 2 tablespoons of veggie broth, until translucent
• Add all the ingredients (cabbage, vegetable broth, diced tomatoes, carrots, celery, garlic, apple cider vinegar, lemon juice, laurel, pepper, bouillon, green lentils, and sage) into the Instant Pot. Stir to combine with sautéed onion.
• Close and lock the lid.
• Select high pressure according to manufacturer’s instructions; set timer for 15 minutes.
• Allow 10 to 15 minutes for pressure to build.
• Release the pressure using the natural-release method according to manufacturer’s instructions.
• Unlock and remove lid. Serve while hot. Serve hot with baguette. Enjoy!
How did you modify this recipe? Please share in the comments? Thank you for sharing!