January 25, 2021
Spaghetti squash is such a fun, underrated vegetable! Here is my favorite way to bake it. You can eat it plain or as a side dish. I like to incorporate it into another recipe. I will save it in the refrigerator and use it in my Vegan Spaghetti Veggie Squash Casserole. The recipe will be in tomorrow’s blog. You may also freeze it until you are ready to use it. It will defrost perfectly, and taste just as fresh!
• 1 medium sphagetti squash•
• 2 teaspoons of olive oil, optional
• salt to taste, optional
• pepper to taste, optional
• Place whole spaghetti squash inside the microwave in a shallow microwavable dish. Microwave briefly for 5 minutes, or until peel is soft enough to pierce into it with a knife.
• Cut the spaghetti squash in half lengthwise. Scoop out the seeds, and discard.
• Drizzle the insides lightly with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper (Do not use too much oil or salt because it can make it too watery!). This step is optional. I like to bake it without anything added so that I can season it later when I use it in a recipe.
• Bake the spaghetti squash face down on a baking sheet from 30-45 minutes. The timing will entirely depend on the size of your squash and the heat of your particular oven. It can also vary from squash to squash, so adjust your cooking time accordingly. I prefer my strands to be more al dente (and less mushy).
• Once it’s roasted and cool enough to touch, use a fork to scrape the strands. I like to start from the outside and work my way in, fluffing them up as I go.
• That’s it! Season it with more salt and pepper and serve it as a simple veggie side. Or incorporate it into your favorite spaghetti squash recipes.
How did you modify this recipe? Please share in the comments. Thank you for sharing!