January 27, 2021
This wholesome dish will make a spaghetti squash lover out of even the pickiest of eaters! This recipe utilizes the spaghetti squash that we baked yesterday.
Vegan Spaghetti Veggie Squash Casserole
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour 40 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour 55 minutes
Author Inspiration : Lindsay Moe at crowdex D.C., at choppedacademy.com
- ▢ 1 medium spaghetti squash, halved and seeds removed
- ▢ 1 tablespoon olive oil, plus more for rubbing the squash OR 3 tablespoons of veggie broth, or more if needed
- ▢ 1 medium onion, chopped
- ▢ 8 ounces baby portobello mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cups frozen peas
- 2 cups Normandy Blend vegetable blend, or your favorite veggie mix
- 1/4 cup Nutritional Yeast
- 2 tablespoons of flour
- ▢ 1 clove garlic, minced
- ▢ Coarse kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- ▢ 14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes, drained of excess liquid
- ▢ 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- ▢ 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- ▢ 1/2 cup shredded vegan mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup non-dairy milk, soy or almond milk
- 2 cups arugula, or your favorite greens ( spinach, kale, etc)
- ▢ Chopped fresh parsley, optional
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF. Spray an 8×8 baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.
- Pre-cook the spaghetti squash following the instructions in yesterday’s blog recipe.
- You will need to cut it in half.
• Remove and discard the seeds.
• Bake according to recipe instructions in yesterday’s post.
- Remove the spaghetti squash pulp by using a fork to scrape it off in horizontal long strokes. Continue scrapping until you reach the peel.
- Place the spaghetti squash pulp or “noodles” in a large bowl and set aside.
- Heat olive oil (or veggie broth) in a large pan over medium heat. Once hot, add the onions, stir frequently to soften, for 3-4 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms, peas, arugula, Normandy Blend of veggies, to the onions and cook (stirring frequently, about 5 more minutes). Add the garlic and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the oregano, thyme, and tomatoe sauce to the sautéed veggies. Stir thoroughly to combine.
- Add the spaghetti squash pulp to the sautéed veggies with the tomato sauce. Stir to combine. Add the Vegan Cheese Sauce, and stir until well incorporated.
- Transfer the mixture to the prepared baking dish and sprinkle with vegan cheese.
- Bake 30 minutes or until cheese is melted and it is hot throughout.
- Garnish with chopped parsley if desired and serve.
INSTRUCTION FOR VEGAN CHEESE SAUCE:
• In a small sauce pan mix non-dairy milk and flour until well incorporated.
• Add non-dairy milk and nutritional yeast. Mix constantly over medium heat until well end incorporated. Cook for about 3-5 minutes until well dissolved.
• Remove from the heat and set aside.
The secret to this comforting, baked spaghetti squash casserole is cheesy, gooey sauce. We make ours 100% dairy free and gluten free with a few key ingredients.
• Non-dairy milk. We opt for cashew milk because it has a mild flavor. However, coconut, almond or oat milk would also work. Be sure to choose a dairy free milk that’s not flavored or sweetened though.
• Gluten free flour. Just two tablespoons of all purpose gf flour helps to thicken your vegan cheese sauce. • Nutritional Yeast. This healthy powder is the key to super cheesy vegan sauces. It has a similar umami flavor to parmesan, without any dairy. Plus, it packs tons of Vitamin B, which everyone (vegans and carnivores) should be getting more of.
• You May garnish with parsley if desired.
Calories: 147kcal | Carbohydrates: 22g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 5g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 7mg | Sodium: 108mg | Potassium: 545mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 9g | Vitamin A: 415IU | Vitamin C: 12.6mg | Calcium: 127mg | Iron: 1.7mg
How did you modify this recipe? Please share in the comments. Thank you for sharing!