February 9, 2021
This creamy, nourishing butternut squash soup recipe is the definition of fall comfort food. As it cooks, your kitchen will fill with the scents of Rosemary, Sage, and the Butternut Squash. Your reward is a delicious steaming bowl of Butternut Squash soup!
Butternut Squash Soup
Prep Time: 10 mins Cook Time: 35 mins Total Time: 45 minsServes 6
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 1 (3-pound) butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and cubed
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage
- ½ tablespoon minced fresh rosemary
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon of garlic
- 1/8 teaspoon of paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon of cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon of basil
- 1/2 teaspoon of thyme
- 3 to 4 cups vegetable broth
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, optional
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt, optional
- 1 cup canned full fat coconut milk, optional
• Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, salt, and several grinds of fresh pepper and sauté until soft, 5 to 8 minutes. Add the squash and cook until it begins to soften, stirring occasionally, for 8 to 10 minutes.
• Add the garlic, sage, rosemary, ginger, paprika, cumin, basil, and thyme. Stir and cook 30 seconds to 1 minute, until fragrant, then add 4 cups of the broth. Bring to a boil, cover, and reduce heat to a simmer. Cook until the squash is tender, 20 to 30 minutes.
• Let cool slightly and pour the soup into a blender, working in batches if necessary, and blend until smooth. If your soup is too thick, add up to 1 cup more broth and blend.
- Stir in 1 cup canned full fat coconut milk or coconut cream to thicken the soup.
FOR BAKED BUTTERNUT SQUASH:
You can choose to bake your Butternut Squash. If you choose to bake it, follow the following steps:
• Add the peeled and chopped butternut squash to a mixing bowl. Add extra virgin olive oil, dried thyme, dried basil, sea salt and ground black pepper and toss the butternut with the olive oil and spices until lightly coated.
• Transfer the butternut squash to a parchment lined baking tray and space the pieces evenly.
• Bake at 400°F for 30 minutes until roasted.
• When the butternut squash is roasted, add olive oil to a pot along with chopped onion, crushed garlic, cumin and paprika and sauté until the onions are softened.
• Now add in the roasted butternut squash and toss it with the onions and spices.
• Add vegetable stock and bring to a simmer. Let it simmer for around 15 minutes for the flavors to blend.
• Then switch off the heat and use an immersion blender (handheld blender) to blend the soup directly in the pot. If you don’t have an immersion blender then let the soup cool for a few minutes and then transfer to your blender jug in stages. Blend it and then when the soup is all blended, return it to the pot.
- Add in some sea salt and black pepper to taste.
- Serve while hot, with some French bread. Enjoy!
How did you modify this recipe? Please share in the comments. Thank you for sharing!