February 23, 2021
- Author: Losune at simpleveganblog.com
- Prep: 5 mins
- Cook: 10 mins
- Total: 15 mins
- Breakfast, Tofu
This Tofu scramble is a great vegan alternative to scrambled eggs. It’s so easy to make, high in protein, and ready in 15 minutes. You may serve the Tofu Scramble with fresh fruit, vegan bacon or vegan sausages as part of a vegan brunch. You can also eat it with vegan pancakes and coffee or juice. I recommend the Vegan Egg-Less French Toasts (recipe in a previous blog). They are truly a delicious combination!
- 8 ounces firm tofu (225 g)
- 1/4 tsp salt, optional
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder, see notes
- 1/8 tsp ground black pepper
- 2 celery stalks, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, finely chopped
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 cup vegetable broth
- 2 tsp nutritional yeast
- 1/2 cup peppers, finely chopped
- 1/2tsp Chili Lime Powder
- 1 tsp lime juice
- 1/8 tsp Hot Paprika
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 2 green onions, chopped
1. Chop the tofu and use a fork to crumble it into bite-sized pieces.
2. Add some 1/4 cup vegetable broth to a frying pan and when it’s hot, add the onion, celery, carrots, and peppers. Sauté until onion is translucent. Add the garlic.
3. Add the tofu and all the remaining ingredients: salt (if using), turmeric powder, nutritional yeast, and ground black pepper. I also added: paprika, chilI lime powder, lime juice, garlic powder, and onion powder. Stir until well combined and cook over medium-high heat for 5 to 10 minutes. You may add more broth if it dries out too much during cooking. Stir occasionally.
4. Serve immediately. I served my Tofu Scramble over some toasted Naan Bread (recipe is in a previous blog). and topped it with chopped green onions. You may serve the Tofu Scramble as part of your Sunday brunch. I would also recommend serving the Tofu Scramble with the Vegan Egg-Less French Toasts (recipe in a previous blog). Enjoy!
• Keep leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 1 week. You can also prepare the tofu before cooking and freeze it for up to 5 months.
• If you’re not a turmeric lover or you’re not used to its flavor, add only 1/8 tsp of turmeric powder, then try the scramble and add more of it if needed.
• Add your favorite spices, veggies, or ingredients.
• If you’re oil-free, just use some water or vegetable stock instead. I always use veggie broth in place of oil. Give it a try!
- Serving Size: 1/2 of the recipe
- Calories: 80
- Sugar: 0.7 g
- Sodium: 248 mg
- Fat: 4.7 g
- Saturated Fat: 1 g
- Carbohydrates: 2.1 g
- Fiber: 1.1 g
- Protein: 9.3 g
How did you modify this recipe? Please share in the comments. Thank you for sharing!