April 4, 2021
Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms
PREP TIME: 5 minutes
COOK TIME: 25 minutes
TOTAL TIME: 30 minutes
Cuisine: American, Vegan
- 3 honeynut squash (or small butternut squash)
- 2.5 tbsp olive oil (optional), you can use veggie broth (for oil-free)
- 1 cup Trader Joe’s Organic Tricolor Quinoa, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup Trader Joe’s Quick-Cook Organic Brown Basmati Rice
- 2 cups Trader Joe’s Low Sodium Vegetable Broth
- ⅓ cup walnuts, chopped or cashews
- 2 tbsp Trader Joe’s Organic Sage, Chiffonade
- 1 cup Trader Joe’s Organic Baby Spinach, Chiffonade
- 1/2 cup Trader Joe’s Unsweetened Applesauce, or apple chopped
- ½ yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp turmeric
- 1/8 tsp ginger powder
INGREDIENTS FOR MUSHROOM MERINADE:
- 8 large portobello mushrooms* (stems removed, wiped clean)
- 2-4 Tbsp avocado or melted coconut oil (or sub water or vegetable broth)
- 4 tablespoons Trader Giotto’s Gold Balsamic Vinegar of Modena: ALCETO BALSAMICO DI MODENA
- 1 Tbsp lime juice
- 1 tsp ground cumin (divided)
- 1/2 tsp chili powder or smoked paprika(divided)
- 1/2 tsp sea salt, optional
- 2 Tbsp lime juice
INGREDIENTS FOR SERVING: (optional)
Maple-Balsamic Drizzle (optional, for serving):
- 2 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp Trader Giotto’s Gold Balsamic Vinegar of Modena: ALCETO BALSAMICO DI MODENA
Gather & measure ingredients: 1 cup quinoa, 1 cup brown rice, 2 cups veggie broth, 1/3 cup walnuts/cashews, 2 tbsp sage, 1 cup spinach, 1/2 cup chopped apple, 1/2 yellow onion, 2 garlic cloves, 1/4 tsp salt(if using), 1/4 tsp pepper, 1/2 tsp cinnamon, 1/8 tsp turmeric, & 1/8 tsp ginger.
Prepare & chop your ingredients: chop the onion, mince the garlic, chop the walnuts/cashews, Chiffonade the sage, & Chiffonade the spinach (see photo above). (see notes)
Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
Clean each portobello mushroom using a wet paper towel and scrubbing it gently. Dry each portobello mushroom cap with a dry paper towel. Using a small spoon, paring knife or a serrated-edge grapefruit spoon, scrape off the gills and discard. Use the portobello caps whole.
Add mushrooms to a shallow baking or serving dish and season with the balsamic & lime marinate (vegetable broth, balsamic vinegar, lime juice, cumin, and sea salt if using). Flip/toss to combine. Set aside to let marinate (for about 15 minutes). (see notes)
In a small pot, cook the quick-cook organic brown basmati rice (follow package instructions: bring 1 3/4 cups water to boil in sauce pan with tight fitting lid, add 1 cup rice, cover & reduce heat to a simmer, cook for 15 minutes or until water is absorbed). Remove from the heat & set aside. (see notes)
In the meantime, prepare the filling. Bring quinoa and vegetable broth to a boil in a medium pot and then reduce to a simmer. Cover and cook for 12-15 mins, until liquid is absorbed. (see notes)
Sauté diced yellow onion and Chiffonade sage in 1.5 tbsp olive oil (or 2 tbs veggie broth) in a saucepan over medium high heat until fragrant. about 5 mins. Add cooked quinoa, cooked brown rice, chopped walnuts, applesauce/apple, salt, pepper, cinnamon, turmeric, and ginger to the saucepan and stir to combine. Cook for 2-5 more minutes and set aside.
In a skillet, add the mushrooms and sauté for 2 minutes on both sides to brown and soften. Cover to lightly steam for the final minute. Then transfer to a baking sheet face up and set aside.
If desired, mix balsamic vinegar and honey together for drizzle. Set aside.
Scoop spoonfuls of the filling into each one of the marinated & sautéed portobello mushroom caps. Top each mushroom cap generously.
Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
Bake at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for about 5 minutes or until mushrooms and toppings are hot and slightly browned. Remove the baking sheet from the oven
Carefully transfer each mushroom cap to the serving dish, or to each individual plate.
Drizzle each stuffed mushroom cap with some maple-balsamic drizzle and serve immediately.
Serve the mushroom caps alongside the Easy Roasted Vegetables (recipe in previous blog) with any extra stuffing. Enjoy! I hope you have a HAPPY EASTER!
NUTRITION (1 of 8 servings):
Serving: 1 serving
Carbohydrates: 50.5 g
Protein: 9.2 g
Fat: 8.5 g
Saturated Fat: 2.2 g
Trans Fat: 0 g
Cholesterol: 0 mg
Sodium: 771 mg
Fiber: 10 g
Sugar: 11.7 g
How did you modify this recipe? Please share in the comments. Thank you for sharing!