April 9, 2021
This is a simple cabbage curry recipe that is very flavorful. It is an Indian style cabbage recipe made with peas, spices & herbs.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
Author: Swathsi at indianhealthyrecipes.com
- ▢ 1 tbsp oil or as needed
- 1/2 cup Trader Joe’s Low Sodium Vegetable Broth
- ▢ ½ tsp cumin or jeera, I used cumin seeds
- ▢ ½ tsp mustard seeds
- ▢ 1 tsp ginger or ginger garlic paste or grated. I used 1 tsp minced Ginger & 1 tsp ginger powder
- ▢ 1 large onion, chopped
- ▢ 1 large tomato, or I used 7 oz from a 14.5 oz can of diced tomatoes
- ▢ salt, optional
- ▢ 1/8 tsp turmeric or haldi
- ▢ ½ tsp red chili powder
- ▢ ¾ tsp GARAM MASALA or sambar powder as needed
- ▢ ¼ cup green peas
- ▢ 2 to 3 cups cabbage, chopped
- ▢ 2 tbsp coriander leaves finely chopped, or coriander powder
- 2/3 cup Trader Joe’s Tricolor Quinoa, cooked
- 2/3 cup Trader Joe’s Quick Cook Basmati Brown Rice, cooked
Making cabbage curry:
- ▢ Add 1/4 cup veggie broth to a 12” cast iron skillet. When the broth turns hot, add the cabbage. Sauté cabbage until it is al dente. Remove from the skillet, and set aside.
- Reheat the same cast iron skillet with 3-4 tablespoons of veggie broth. Add 2 teaspoons of olive oil.
- When the oil & broth hot, add mustard and cumin seeds. Sauté until they begin to sizzle.
- ▢ When they begin to sizzle, add ginger garlic and sauté till it turns aromatic.
- ▢ Add 1/4 cup of veggie broth. Add sliced onions and fry till they turn transparent.
- Add tomatoes, salt (if using). and turmeric. Sauté until the tomatoes soften (about 3-4 minutes).
- ▢ Add spices and sauté for an additional minute.
- Add green peas and sauté for a minute.
- ▢ Add the sautéed cabbage. Stir together until well incorporated with spices.
- Add the rice and quinoa mixture to the cabbage. Stir together until well incorporate. Sauté for an additional 2-3 minutes, or until heated through. You may add 2-3 tablespoons of veggie broth if it needs more moisture.
- ▢ Serve while hot. Enjoy!
NUTRITION INFO (estimation only):
Nutrition Facts Cabbage curry
Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat 45
% Daily Value*
Vitamin A 440IU9%
Vitamin C 42.2mg51%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.
How did you modify this recipe? Please share in the comments. Thank you for sharing!